Monday, May 19, 2008

The Wind Beneath My Snow Covered Wings


May 4, 2008

I'm walking through an airport late on a sunless afternoon. I pass by a woman crouched on the floor with a litter of beagle puppies. I do not stop, I keep walking, which is very unusual because I always stop for beagles.

Next I pass a young boy in a makeshift bedroom. Apparently the boy is blind because as he rests in bed awaiting his flight to Los Angeles, his faithful guide dog stands at his bedside.

A few minutes later, I find myself seated on a plane on the tarmac at the Los Angeles International Airport. Outside it is dark and snowing.

I begin chatting with the married couple behind me as we nervously wait for the weather to clear. The woman, who turns out to be Bette Midler, asks me which of her records is my favorite. I tell her I'm partial to her concert album, Live At Last.

"Yes, " she responds, "I, too am partial to The Rose."

I look at her husband to make sure that I haven't misunderstood, but he only shrugs his shoulders as if to say, "I know, I know. She only hears what she wants to hear."

5 comments:

Jonathan Royce said...

"...and she disregards the rest, lai la lai..."
Hey, was the kid's seeing eye dog a... BEAGLE?
xo J-Ro

Jiminy Snap said...

Seeing Eye Beagles! I can just imagine them dragging their poor masters wherever their little noses lead them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey!! I showed this to my roommate & He identified it as Bette upon first glance!!!

Jiminy Snap said...

Skinscream, your roommate is clearly a very bright boy!