Thursday, November 7, 2013

Both Sides Now


November 7, 2013

I dreamed about Joni Mitchell for the second time in my life last night. I like her well enough but I am not particularly a fan. I mean, she's not someone whose birthday I would celebrate. So imagine my shock when I Googled her today and found out that today, November 7 is actually her birthday.

As for the dream itself, I was at a house party in London...a flat party, really. I could see roof tops from the window that reminded me somehow of graham crackers. 

Joni was sitting on the floor in front of a couch surrounded by party goers, including much of my extended family. I sat down in front of her and leafed through a book of her art work while she signed CDs for people. We spoke for a while and she was a very attentive listener, though I don't remember what we spoke about.

I got up to leave and say goodbye, but then turned back to Joni to say, "Oh wait, I thought of one more thing I wanted to tell you." 

It was then that I realized I had barged in on someone else's turn, that in fact there was a female reporter sitting on the couch waiting to interview Joni. 

Joni said I could stick around and talk to her after her interview, but I was so embarrassed at my faux pas, that I quickly headed for the door.

No comments: