Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Lift Every Voice and Sing

                                  

Something a little different for Black History month.

My drawing is based on the Augusta Savage sculpture commissioned for the 1939 World's Fair Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing (aka The Harp). It derives its title from the song of the same name, sometimes known as the Black National Anthem.

With words by educator James Weldon Johnson, it was first performed as a poem by school children in celebration of Lincoln's birthday in 1900. Five years later Johnson's brother John set the words to a stirring melody.  In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful songs every composed and I listen to it (and sing it!) often for inspiration. Yes, I know--I am whiter than cream cheese in a snow storm. Doesn't matter, it's just a damn fine beautiful song.

The sculpture by Savage (1892-1962), who was the first African American elected to the National Association of Women Painters and Sculptors, was a 16 foot tall plaster rendering of stylized figures in choir robes being cradled by the hand of God. The figures combine to form the strings of a harp, with a lone male figure hunched in front holding a piece of music and representing the harp's foot pedal.

Although it is among her best known works, alas The Harp exists only in photographs and memories. Like many of the fair's exhibits, it was designed to be temporary and no funds were set aside to move it or cast it in bronze at the exhibition's conclusion.

Much like the song, the sculpture just really grabs my imagination. I've been looking for one of the miniature versions that apparently were available as souvenirs in 1939 but have been unsuccessful in obtaining one so far. However, I did manage to score on Ebay an original set of postcards from the fair, which includes a rendering of Savage's master work.

Heartfelt as it is, my sketch does not do the piece justice, so I've included a photos I found of Savage at work on the piece in her Harlem studio. It would be lovely if everyone could, just once in their life, create something so awe inspiring.





No comments: