Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Newmans Awake



3/15/15

I'm in my old bedroom, in the Hell's Kitchen apartment I shared with two roommates 20 years ago. There's a lot of noise and carrying on in the living room. I panic because I'm afraid it will awake our guests in the bedroom next to mine, Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward. 

I go out into the living room and tell my roomies to be quiet. I notice that the door to Paul and Joanne's room is slightly ajar. As I go to close it I accidentally push it open even further, allowing a large ray of light to streak across the bed. 

I don't know why exactly, but I feel certain Paul is going to be furious that we've disturbed them. He emerges from the room first, dressed and ready to go out. He says hello and seems quite friendly and undisturbed by the noise. A moment later Joanne steps into the living room to join him. I say hello and she introduces herself as Lenora Stewart Levin. I'm surprised to hear this, but I figure this must be her birth name. 

Although she seems perfectly healthy, Joanne tells me, "Paul's dropping me off at hospice care later, but I've got to stop and get my hair done first."

And with that they're out the door and getting on with their day.


No comments: