Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Snap Out Of It!




I am far too sentimental for my own good, and I think most people who know me would agree. But I can't help it, it's part of who I am. For instance, when I think of Cher, who happens to be turning 68 today, I can instantly access personal associations. Like the time when I was eight and my grandmother was babysitting and I absolutely forbid her to change the channel until the little cartoon video of Cher singing "Dark Lady" had finished playing on The Sonny & Cher Show. Nanny wanted to watch Cold Turkey with Dick Van Dyke. We had a bit of a war of wills. Deep down I knew I should not have been arguing with her, that I should have let take charge of the TV, but I mean, my God, it was Cher! It was Dark Lady! It was a cheesy animated music video!

My other memory of Cher is a little more bittersweet. The last time I spoke with my mom, I had been to see Moonstruck the night before. My mom didn't get to the movies very often, and so I relayed the plot to her in great detail. She seemed to enjoy the Cinderella like transformation I described and said something along the lines of  "that sounds just like that crazy Cher."

Cher is someone who is very easy to make fun of, from the abundance of plastic surgery, the sequins, the feathers, the distinctive but not really accomplished singing voice. Everybody does it, it's just too easy not to, and I am no exception. Even so, she is a survivor and a force of nature, far more than just a punchline draped in Bob Mackie, and I have a very soft (i.e far too sentimental) spot in my heart for that crazy Cher.

1 comment:

Moyses.p said...

hey, don't know much about cher history. so im watching this video for the first time! loving it.