Saturday, January 31, 2015

Home Movies


I/29/15

It's late on Christmas night. I'm gathered with a family to watch some old home movies. I realize suddenly that this is not my family. I'm actually in the living room of Gena Rowland's Los Angeles home, along with the brood of now adult children she shared with John Cassavetes.

The movie, projected onto an old fashioned fold screen on medal legs, has just started. Gena has decided to go to bed and not stay up to watch. I look down a hallway off of the kitchen just in time to see the back of her head disappear into a bedroom.

Everyone turns their attention back to the screen. It seems a strange mix of family footage and scenes from Gena's work in motion pictures. I'm taken with the image of Gena posing with her children on an over sized burnt orange couch. One moment she is completely engaged, laughing and showing off her children, and in the next, the smile evaporates from her face and she recedes into the background without ever moving.

I don't want to watch anymore. I get up and go to the kitchen when it occurs to me that I haven't seen Gena's three Emmys around the house.

"They must be in the bedroom," I conclude, and start to devise a plan to get in there and have a peek.

[this dream is the kind that would normally really upset me, but honestly, it was so cool to see Gena Rowlands, plus movies within the dream! I also find it interesting that her home movies were kind of a mishmash of real life and narrative film, given that the home she shared with Cassavettes served as the shooting location for several of their collaborations. The illustration is three separate red pencil drawings blended digitally.]

No comments: