Friday, January 2, 2015

Kitty, I Forgive You



      1/1/15

   How you remember Kitty Carlisle, if you remember Kitty Carlisle
   Hart, will probably depend on your age. If you’re over 70, you
   may remember her as the Marx Brother’s costar in films like
  “A Night At The Opera,” or as a star of operettas and Broadway
   musicals. 

   If you’re younger than that, you may remember her as the 
   be-gowned and bejeweled panelist on To Tell The Truth.  Or
   as the long time Chairperson of the New York State Council
   of the Arts.

   Well, to tell the truth, I didn’t much think about her one way or
   the other until after she died and I read her obituary in the 
   New York Times. Along with  a list of accomplishments and 
   performing credits, there was this nugget of wisdom from Kitty:
   She greeted each new day by studying herself in the mirror and 
   saying, “Kitty, I forgive you!” 

   I tried it for a few days, hoping it would help ease
   my overactive conscience, but honestly it just felt
   ridiculous. Still, it’s a philosophy and a ritual I greatly
   admire, and I’m hoping 2015 is the year that I truly
   embrace it, in spirit if not in practice. 

No comments: