Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Blythe Spirit



2/3/15

Blythe Danner was born in Philadelphia on February 3, 1943. I'm very glad we were born in the same city, though I imagine she's from a nicer neighborhood than I.

I saw her leaving a theatre once, but I've never seen her perform on stage; I had a ticket to see her in Follies in 2001, but alas her understudy went on at the matinee I saw.

Over the years she's shown up in my dreams a few times, both involving public transportation and Pennsylvania.

In one dream it's very late at night and it's some time around 1960. I meet Blythe on a bus. We're on our way to Philadelphia to try to find the next great girl group.

In the other dream, which I had about 6 years ago, I'm riding in the dining car of a big old train and playing cards with Blythe Danner and Tony winner Joanna Gleason (Broadway's Baker's Wife in the original "Into The Woods". For my non theatre friends, oh my God she is a treat. But I digress.)

We're on our way to Valley Forge where we'll be making a historical film. I realize now this dining car is actually our dressing room. As the train pulls into a lush, hilly patch of land, Blythe tells us, "you know my father was a Jewish baker in Philadelphia." This seems highly unlikely.

The train comes to a stop. I open a door to peak outside. There is already filming underway, and I have just apparently ruined a shot because I'm not yet in costume. I scramble back inside, closing the door behind me. Blythe and Joanna laugh at my mistake, but really how was I to know the train would leave us right on the set?!

No comments: