Friday, February 6, 2015

Happy Birthday Kathy Najimy


Today is Kathy Najimy's birthday. I had the good fortune of meeting her a few times through my old job as Gloria Stinem's assistant. Gloria had actually performed the wedding service for Kathy and her husband Dan.
I remember telling Kathy that her wedding day was the same as day as my birthday and she said, "which one? We got married a bunch of times."

A few months later I got to go backstage at the Helen Hayes theatre on Broadway to meet Kathy. She was appearing in "Dirty Blonde" in a dual role as Mae West and one of her Mae's fans. I've been backstage at a few theatres but this one was different from others I'd been to. Most that I've visited are pretty utilitarian, but the Helen Hayes had a sitting area that was kind of like a Victorian parlor. I half expected someone to offer me tea.

My conversation with Kathy wasn't particularly memorable, just friendly chit chat. But while I awaited my turn with her, I witnessed an unusual site. Julie Kavner happened to attend the same performance, and when Kathy came out of her dressing room and into the parlor, she first spoke with Julie while I looked on. It was a little surreal listening to the voices of Marge Simpson and Peggy Hill chat about the state of Broadway.

[SIDE BAR: I didn't get to talk to Julie, but if I had I probably would have told her about that time I was in high school and I accidentally wrote a musical version of "Rhoda."  I didn't realize that's what I was doing, but when I read it back, it was pretty clear: two young Jewish women finding their way in New York, one of them a chronic overeater with self esteem issues, dealing with their overbearing mother. (and now I'm having a senior moment--did I write about this before??) ]

Once again I digress! Happy Birthday to the uniquely talented Kathy Najimy!

No comments: