Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Funny Girl at 50: March 26, 1964

Backstage at the Winter Garden, 1964
                                   





I have drawn Barbra Streisand's face literally hundreds of times. It is my go-to doodle. My renditions are not particularly realistic but they are usually recognizable. I always start the same way: two almond shaped eyes with Cleopatra like makeup, followed by a long squiggly line for a nose, and an exceptionally puffy and wide upper lip. I've casually created her in pencil, ink, crayon, marker, sidewalk chalk, Legos, Lite Brite, and once even carved her into the side of a pumpkin (side note: the natural lines of a pumpkin are a good guide for Barbra's '60s era pageboy.)

Today, March 26, marks the 50th anniversary of the Broadway premiere of Barbra's legendary hit show Funny Girl. In honor of the occasion, and because it was fun for me to do, I've created a series of pieces (watercolor, pen, pencil, marker, but alas no pumpkin) based on the Broadway production.

Mostly I've used my standard Barbra face, with a few variations. I'll be posting them throughout the day. If you're familiar with Funny Girl, and if you've come to my blog I've got to believe that you are, then you'll know that it remains at the epicenter of Barbra's career even half a century on. If you're not familiar with it, perhaps these pieces will encourage you to seek out the film or the soundtrack. What a treat you have in front of you.


No comments: