Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Synchronized Swimming In The City

                                  

3/2/2014

I'm taking a synchronized swimming class in a public gym on Manhattan's Upper East Side. I'm splashing about in the pool with dozens of women, and all of us, including  my friend Sarah Jessica Parker, are wearing mermaid tails.

But alas, I am not really myself. Instead I am an impossibly glamorous African American woman. I kind of look like the girl on New Girl--the one that's not Zooey Deschanel. I have to say, my hair and makeup are pretty stellar considering I've been swimming in an over chlorinated public pool.

SJP has her hair pinned up, which was a smart move and I find myself wishing I had thought of it. She really seems to be in her element, as she gracefully executes ballet-like hand movements, while the strength of her tail work keeps her upper torso nearly perpendicular with the water.

Midway through the class I've had it. I lazily swim--if there were a word that meant "to saunter while swimming," I would use it here--so I lazily swim...Nay, swaunter, I swaunter to the side of the pool and attempt to climb out.

I call back to SJP, who continues to bob up and down like a dancer on point, "I'm not feelin' this. I'm just not that into it."

                                     

#Sarahjessicaparker

No comments: