Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lady In Blue

Lady In Blue
Billie Holiday

Last Monday, April 7th, marked the 99th birthday of Eleanora Fagan. Never heard of her you say? Well, you might know her better as Lady Day, or even Billie Holiday.

I bought my first Billie Holiday record when I was 21 years old. I hated it. I thought she had none of the clarity or dexterity of my favorite jazz and blues singers Dinah Washington and Ella Fitzgerald. But people whose opinions I respected thought the world of her, and of course she'd been greatly celebrated by critics for many decades. Still, I felt like the child who yells out in The Emperor's New Clothes, as I just could not see her greatness.

Ah, but this is how Billie Holiday taught me persistence, or at least to keep an open mind. For nearly a decade, I would buy another of her albums (cds eventually) every year or so to see if my feelings had changed. I tried early Billie, later Billie, mid-period Billie, big band Billie, small combo Billie, in concert Billie, and in studio Billie. And year after year, album after album, I was left baffled, still not understanding why she was so revered.

Then one year I bought a compilation CD called First Issue: The Great American Songbook, which was released in conjunction with a US postage stamp honoring Billie. It had great tunes like Blue Moon, Stormy Weather, Nice Work If You Can Get It, and about 30 more. Suddenly I heard the click, to borrow a phrase from second wave feminists. Something went off in my head and I just got it. I just finally got Billie Holiday and, not forgetting their differences, was able to enjoy her just as much as I enjoyed Dinah & Ella.

I'm not sure what it was about this album that opened Billie up for me. Maybe because the songs were all so familiar already, or because the arrangements were relatively light and pop flavored. Whatever it was, First Issue became a key that let me in and allowed me to go back and enjoy all the other recordings I had shunned.

Maybe you shouldn't have to work that hard to enjoy an artist's work. On the other hand, art can challenge us as well as entertain us if we're willing to put in a little effort. Ten years of listening to albums I genuinely disliked was a bit of an effort, but it's one I'm glad I made.

#billieholiday

No comments: